Silent Film Music and other Sounding Off

Talking about music, consciousness, silent film, Italian food, travel, good books, married life, kids, and more

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Harold Lloyd in New York

It's a snowy Saturday night in Germantown, NY, but about 50 people came out for a fundraising potluck dinner and a screening of SAFETY LAST with Harold Lloyd, with my live synth accompaniment. Joanna, who would normally play percussion and sing, was in Florida, lucky girl, so I did the show myself. Lots of little kids, which was great, including a blond-haired 7 yr. old girl who came up to me beforehand and asked, wide-eyed, "Are you really going to play the piano?" Yes, I said, not just really, but 4-reeely!" I explained what that meant. Later she came back again and asked, "Are you really going to four play?" I thought about that one for a minute and went back to my earlier explanation...


The film went well, people loved it, most had never seen a silent with live music. They asked questions and bought DVDs. Emma, the girl, it turns out, plays piano and won a local competition for creating a piano piece, which was sent on to the next level. So I expect to see her name in lights someday.

I finished scoring TOKYO CHORUS and PASSING FANCY for the Criterion box set, and am working to finish I WAS BORN BUT... in the next two days, then start on a wonderful project I will write about next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home